• Home
  • LaLiga
  • Simeone pledges future to Atletico despite player exodus

Simeone pledges future to Atletico despite player exodus

REUTERS/Sergio Perez

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has pledged his future to the Liga club despite an expected exodus of senior players from the Estadio Metropolitano in the close season.

Argentine Simeone, 49, has said he will oversee the changing of the guard as he looks to rebuild the 2014 La Liga winners, who came second this term behind runaway champions Barcelona.

“I like my job, I feel very identified and committed to the club. I know that year-on-year it’s always more difficult and that makes us see our real selves and generate enthusiasm,” he told a news conference after a friendly with Beitar Jerusalem.

“Next season we’ll bring in players with great enthusiasm and hopefully adapt to the responsibility that means being at Atletico. We’ll need a new defence with a lot of new pieces,” he added after Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat at Teddy Stadium in Jerusalem.

His squad faces a major overhaul including the departure of the first-choice back four, with Juanfran, Diego Godin and Filipe Luis leaving on free transfers, while Lucas Hernandez is joining Bayern Munich for 80 million euros ($89.33 million).

The club’s talisman, France forward Antoine Griezmann, also announced last week that he will leave the club, with Spanish champions Barcelona his likely destination.

Midfielder Rodrigo has also been heavily linked to English champions Manchester City in the British media, while there has been speculation about Spain forward Diego Costa’s future.

“Griezmann’s departure means a lot, not only for his talent but also it means we’ll lose a lot of goals, which will be tough and hard to replace. We’ve got the midfield in place and the rest of it will be down to work, work and more work.”

In February, former Argentina midfielder Simeone, who spent two separate spells at Atleti as a player, renewed his contract until 2022, meaning he is headed for a decade in charge.

He has won seven trophies with the club, including two Europa League titles, one Copa del Rey and one La Liga title, and has taken them to two Champions League finals, losing in 2014 and 2016 to Real Madrid.

REUTERS/Reporting by Joseph Cassinelli; Editing by Ken Ferris

< PREVIOUS ARTICLE
Solskjaer is ready to appoint Pogba as a captain
NEXT ARTICLE >
After Casillas heart-attack, wife says she has had cancer op
RELATED POSTS
Draw for African preliminaries for 2022 World Cup
FA to introduce ‘sin bins’ in grassroots soccer to tackle dissent
Trabzonspor lose CAS appeal over 2010-11 Turkish title
Toronto FC part ways with F Boyd
EFL give Bolton and Bury Monday deadline to prove financial viability
Ronaldinho facing financial troubles in Brazil – report

Leave a Reply

  1. July 25, 2019

    492233 749650I just added this weblog to my rss reader, excellent stuff. I like your writing style. 623895

    Reply
  2. August 8, 2019

    413370 412832This web site is really a walk-through it genuinely is the details you wanted concerning this and didnt know who to inquire about. Glimpse here, and you will completely discover it. 571181

    Reply