• Home
  • MLS
  • Second-half uprising sends Orlando City past FC Cincinnati

Second-half uprising sends Orlando City past FC Cincinnati


Nani and Tesho Akindele each scored a pair of goals as host Orlando City SC scored four times in the second half to post a 5-1 victory over FC Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon.

Nani scored in the 50th and 59th minutes while Akindele tallied in the 37th and 64th for Orlando City (4-6-3), which snapped a three-match losing streak and four-game winless skid.

Dom Dwyer converted a header in the 82nd minute to cap the scoring and Brian Rowe made two saves in his return from a one-match absence in order to get a game of rest.

Cincinnati (3-8-2), which yielded a season high in goals, was unable to take advantage of Darren Mattocks’ tally in the 24th minute for a 1-0 lead and fell in its second match under the direction of interim coach Yoann Damet.

Nani returned after being sidelined for two matches due a minor injury and gave Orlando City a 2-1 lead in the 50th minute. Cincinnati goalkeeper Spencer Richey (four saves) was able to stop Nani’s initial attempt on a penalty kick before he converted off the rebound from the center of the box.

Nani doubled the advantage just nine minutes later as his left-footed shot found the corner of the goal for his team-leading seventh of the season.

Akindele, who scored his team’s first goal from the top of the box, matched Nani’s goal total for the day by converting from the center of the box in the 64th minute to give Orlando City a 4-1 lead.

Sunday’s match started significantly better for Cincinnati, which rebounded after Emmanuel Ledesma’s left-footed shot caromed off the post in the 21st minute by opening the scoring just three minutes later.

Mattocks entered the box with possession of the ball before coming to a complete stop. After creating space, Mattocks abruptly moved to his left before unleashing a left-footed blast past Rowe for his second goal of the season.

Cincinnati pressed for the go-ahead goal in stoppage time of the first half, but Mathieu Deplagne’s header from the center of the box was tapped over the crossbar by Rowe.

–Field Level Media

Sydney FC beat Perth on penalties to win A-League title
UEFA adopts 'fan-first' ticketing policy for Euro 2020
Draw for African preliminaries for 2022 World Cup
FA to introduce ‘sin bins’ in grassroots soccer to tackle dissent
Trabzonspor lose CAS appeal over 2010-11 Turkish title
Toronto FC part ways with F Boyd
EFL give Bolton and Bury Monday deadline to prove financial viability
Ronaldinho facing financial troubles in Brazil – report

Leave a Reply