Icardi, Nainggolan not in Inter plans, says Conte

REUTERS/Jennifer Lorenzini

Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi and midfielder Radja Nainggolan are not in his plans for the new season, coach Antonio Conte said on Friday.

Conte, tasked with reviving a team who have not won a major trophy for eight years, play Manchester United on Saturday at Singapore’s National Stadium in the International Champions Cup.

Argentine Icardi left the club’s training camp in Switzerland last week, local media reported.

“The club was very clear to tell that he (Icardi) is out of this project. This is the reality, he is gone,” Conte said, adding that Nainggolan was also “out of the project”.

Conte did not hide his desire to lure United striker Romelu Lukaku to Inter, adding that getting a new striker was imperative for the club.

“For sure it is not easy to play without a striker at the beginning of the season like this. The market is still open. It is not easy to play against teams like Juventus and Manchester United without strikers,” Conte said.

The former Juventus, Chelsea and Italy boss is the club’s 11th coach in nine years.

He voiced frustration at Inter’s management saying they were “a bit late” on the transfer market.

Among players signed are winger Valentino Lazaro from Hertha Berlin, midfielder Nicolo Barella from Cagliari and Uruguay defender Diego Godin from Atletico Madrid..

REUTERS/Reporting by John Geddie, editing by Ed Osmond

< PREVIOUS ARTICLE
Emery talks up leadership role for Holding amid Koscielny doubt
NEXT ARTICLE >
Lampard hoping to rely on youngsters Zouma, Mount this season
RELATED POSTS
Draw for African preliminaries for 2022 World Cup
FA to introduce ‘sin bins’ in grassroots soccer to tackle dissent
Trabzonspor lose CAS appeal over 2010-11 Turkish title
Toronto FC part ways with F Boyd
EFL give Bolton and Bury Monday deadline to prove financial viability
Ronaldinho facing financial troubles in Brazil – report

Leave a Reply